When transitioning our wardrobes from dreary winter blacks and heavy fall wools to blossoming spring styles, we can look to one nation to give us the heads up – Italy! As soon as the golden sun hits Italian soil and tulips begin to bloom, it seems Italians have already gotten down the spring trends and weeded out what is not for them. This season, here are a few key pieces that we can all accept into our closets with ease.
1. The camel coat: Anything that isn’t grey or wool feels like spring for us, but it’s really about incorporating a fresh color that welcomes a new season. A lightweight tan or camel coat will work wonders on your wardrobe.
2. A lightly corseted dress: Stash your LBD’s and find yourself a seductive tailored dress (think Dolce & Gabbana any season.) To take the look even further, opt for something with lace detailing in pastel tones.
3. A Bright Handbag: I know, I know, it’s close to impossible to work color into your monochrome closets. However, the simplest way to achieve this is the perfect hued handbag. Go with something that makes you crack a smile when you carry it, citron, cantaloupe, or a shade of aqua will give you a feel of paradise even while on the subway.
4. The perfect wedged Heel: Italian women are skilled when it comes to walking on cobble stone in heels but one of their best kept secrets is the perfect wedge. Never trading in fashion for function, a good sturdy wedge can give you that extra little swivel in your step. Not to mention they are much more comfortable than an emaciated Louboutin heel.
5. The right Hosiery: If you are feeling timid about bearing your legs this spring, or it’s just still too darn cold, you are in luck as long as you have the right hosiery. There is only one rule to this tip, no black. Leave the dark tights in the past. Instead invest in a good pair of skin toned hose that will last you through the season and every occasion.
Michaela d’Artois is a fashion blogger/ Journalism student residing in San Francisco, CA. With an ample obsession in fashion photography and eccentric style characters, she is constantly expanding her writing and styling portfolio. Michaela enjoys a good cocktail and cheese plate any day.